Wednesday, January 15, 2014

We're Not Orphans

(photo from tabernaclefortoday.org)
To say there’s no God makes us orphans. The other day I tried to put myself into the mindset of someone who says there’s no God. I can’t even image there being nothing greater than my own existence; no purpose to our lives. It was a scary moment that literally took my breath away.  - Without God – there would be no love; to remove God from our world (if that were even possible) would be to remove all love.

God created everything with purpose, whether we understand the purposes behind everything or not. Personally, I think we could have survived and thrived as humans on this planet without mosquitoes, but, I’m not God.

On one hand, I thought – life would literally be a rat race; utter chaos, if there were no God to hold it together. But then, no, without God, there would be no life.

Life doesn’t just exist; it’s a complex, master symphony! Imagine an orchestra with no conductor and everyone playing their own song – no symphony would come out of that.

If we were a child, suddenly discovering ourselves to be totally alone, no other human to be found, how frightening would that be?! I guess depending on the age of the child, it’s not impossible that he should survive; but what an intensely horrifying revelation to find that you’re totally alone.

Without God, we are alone, with no one to emulate; no one to love us like only our Creator can.

In recent years I’ve begun to feel my connection, not only to God, but to the world He created for me; for us. Sure, I sound a little crazy when I say I wish I could hug the mountains, but I do! My spirit soars when I’m surrounded by vivid plant life. A thrill dances inside of me when a breeze merely brushes my face. But mostly, my heart gushes with something that feels stronger than any definition of love I’ve read when I look at people; all people. My heart breaks when those people are in any kind of pain. The fixer in me of course wants to come to their rescue. But, I’ve also come to realize that their situation is not mine to fix. Much like the butterfly literally needs to break free of their cocoon on their own to survive; we all have our own situations and hurts, fears and sorrows, pains and suffering, anguish and anger – to break free from. I’ll help when I can. But, I’ll love when I can’t.

I love
I love because
I love because God
…first loved me

God is.
And God is Love.
Rejoice.

“We love because He first loved us.” – 1 John 4:19 (NIV)
“Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.” – 1 John 4:8 (NIV)


5 comments:

  1. Hi Helen. My name is Cameron and I had a quick question about your blog! I hope you'd be willing to answer for me. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, Cameron! What's your question? I'll answer it to the best of my ability. And if I don't know the answer - I'll admit it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Diane! <3 I love it when I get to be me! :D

    ReplyDelete