Monday, August 18, 2014

Faith and Expectancy

(picture from espiridion.net)
I’m going to borrow an old story for today’s blog post. I almost feel like I’m cheating, but I can’t say it better myself, so I thought I’d share the original story which perfects the meaning of the words faith and expectancy for me. I hope it’ll drive the points home for you, too.

----------------------- "The Faith of a Child" --------------------

Is it not a sad thing that we should think it wonderful for God to hear prayer? A little boy in one of the schools in Edinburgh, who had attended a prayer meeting, had much better faith. He said to his teacher who had conducted the prayer meeting, "Teacher, I wish my sister could be made to read the Bible. 

She never reads it."

"Why should your sister read the Bible, Johnny?"

"Because if she should once read it, I am sure it would do her good, and she would be converted and be saved."

"Do you think so, Johnny?"

"Yes, I do, sir, and I wish the next time there's a prayer meeting you would ask the people to pray for my sister that she may begin to read the Bible."

"Well, it shall be done, John."

So the teacher mentioned that a little boy was very anxious that prayer should be offered that his sister might begin to read the Bible. John was observed to get up and go out. The teacher thought it very rude of the boy to disturb the people in a crowded room, and so the next day when the lad came, he said, "John, I thought it was very rude of you to get up in the prayer meeting 

and go out. You ought not to have done so." 

"But sir," said the boy, "I did not mean to be rude. I thought I would just go home and see my sister reading her 
Bible for the first time."

In the same way we ought to believe and watch with expectation for answers to our prayer. Do not say, "Lord, turn my darkness into light," and then go out with your candle as though you expected to find it dark. After asking the Lord to appear for you, expect Him to do so, for according to your faith he will answer.

-- Charles Haddon Spurgeon, The Quotable Spurgeon, (Wheaton: Harold Shaw Publishers, Inc, 1990)      See: 1 John 5:14-15


2 comments: