Thursday, October 13, 2011

This Mountain Won't Stop Me

Apparently learning the big lessons in life isn’t easy. The enemy has plans in place to fight you all the way. It’s normal to feel like a failure when you recognize your struggles seem to form a repetitive pattern in your life. I find myself asking if I’ll ever make it over this particular mountain. Then I can’t decide whether to laugh or cry, thinking that once I reach this pinnacle, the next one is liable to be an even bigger leap.

But some things I know. I know them because God has declared them to be. I don’t have the understanding yet that backs everything God has decreed, but one great thing I have going for me is that I’m determined not to give up; that what is before me is greater than what is behind me. When I come through this life, I will have ‘fought the good fight of faith’ and reached out for the wisdom and knowledge and understanding that we’ve been promised.

In Proverbs Solomon writes: ‘My son, if you receive my words, And treasure my commands within you, So that you incline your ear to wisdom, And apply your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding, If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;’ (Proverbs 2:1-6 NKJV)

Read all of Proverbs chapter two – it’s empowering to know what we’ve got coming to us. It makes the search and the struggles worth it. The worth of our lives isn’t based on our past and every battle we perceive we’ve already lost. We have to look forward to the ultimate goal. Like Paul, I too choose to ‘…press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.’ (Philippians 3:14 NKJV)

I want to be like Jesus. I want to love like Jesus – and I’m not giving up until I do. That’s my goal. I’m looking past all the earthly hindrances that try to stop me, because I AM God’s ezer, His image bearer, He perfects me, He completes me. I just need to stay in the game ‘being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;’ (Philippians 1:6 NKJV)

4 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! ~K~

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But some things I know. I know them because God has declared them to be." Amen! Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A common theme I've been needing in my life: don't give up!
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. How often do I hear, 'don't give up'? Every day. And every day I take one more step. :)

    ReplyDelete