Thursday, December 1, 2011

Clinging to My ... Teddy


There are things in life we hang on to much too tightly; whether a child with his teddy - for comfort, security and friendship or a mother with her child - to love and protect them.

But even scripture tells us to let go. Luke 14:33 says, “Any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.” That can be a hard truth to digest.

What I cling to, for whatever reason, becomes used, damaged, controlled and eventually, useless. But when given up to God, He alone can set them free and heal them and multiply them and be glorified in them and through them.

I picture a child with a teddy bear that’s loved so much it goes everywhere the child goes, it gets dirty and loses an eye or gets an ear ripped off, needs to be re-stitched from time to time, the stuffing becomes flat and it’s fur gets dingy and faded from washings. The bear isn’t abused on purpose, but our human love has a way of wearing things out.

Why do we hold on so tightly? Do we really believe we need that teddy, that God won’t be our security? Do we believe our children need us more than they need God? Or that we can serve and protect them better than He can?

The bottom line is; what do we believe about God?

Do we believe God is Who He says He is and will do what He says He’ll do – or not?

This morning I asked myself that question and started to answer, “I do, but….” No. Either I do – or I don’t.

“Our greatest single difficulty in following God may come at this point of full surrender.” –Henry Blackaby, (Experiencing God workbook, page 158)


No comments:

Post a Comment