Sunday, January 1, 2012

Getting Rid of Your But

With resolutions to get fit abounding this time of year, some of us realize we just need to get rid of our buts. (No that wasn’t a typo.)

Remember the song that starts out, I like big buts and I cannot lie… yeah, okay, we’re talking about different buts.

Getting fit means more than just losing weight or toning up. There are other buts that need to be dealt with, too, like:

I know I shouldn’t eat those bacon covered cheesy fries, but….

I know I should exercise this morning, but….

I know I need to read my Bible today, but….

I know God’s plans are good, they’re better for me and my family and friends than any plans I could come up with, but….

I know God wants me to love that person, but….

I know God wants me to bless that slow driver, not curse them, but….

I know God has gifts for me and He wants to bless me, but….

I know God wants me to be a giver, but….

I know God wants me whole, healed and sanctified, but….

But God….

True, our buts may sometimes be followed by some really good reasons (or excuses). But when our but gets too big, it gets in our way and holds us down; and worst of all, it negates what we know. ‘I know this, but….’ actually means, ‘I really don’t know this,’ which makes us unfit.

Yes, this is the season for resolving to get fit and healthy. Let’s begin with our buts.
"The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever." - 1 John 2:17 (NIV)

1 comment: