Friday, April 26, 2013

Solid Foundation

Photo courtesy of pwnzone2.blogspot.com

Since God’s love is the bedrock from which we build our foundation, we need to look at what is true about God’s love. We need to stare into the darkness that begins to grow in our hearts and search out what is true versus and what we’ve believed that is not true. It’s one of the hardest things we can do, because seriously, we believe what we believe because we’ve already weighed it and reckoned it as true.

We may add faulty rock to our foundation when we incorrectly weigh the ingredients. Perhaps a lie has been justified because we were wronged and we overcompensated for a thought we wanted to believe, to somehow ease the pain we’ve suffered.

If, for example, in high school, my boyfriend cheated on me, I may overcompensate in the part of my heart that was broken, by assessing the ‘fact’ that all guys cheat and reckoning it to be true, thus easing my own burden of heartache. I might justify his betrayal by asserting that it had nothing to do with me, or our relationship, it’s just something guys do. Or I might hide behind the ‘fact’ that all young women go through this. By doing this, I’m laying foundation in my heart that sets me up for future heartbreak and faulty baselines for relationships that have nothing to do with this guy. 

The truth is, all guys don’t cheat. So, I’ve lowered my expectations and may now settle for the kind of guys that do, because I allowed myself to believe this lie in order to protect my heart.

Does this make sense?

It’s normal to discover a protective mode early in life, and in it we set boundaries that are based on lies. As we continue to experience life in an imperfect world, we add to our foundation based on how we interpret what we’ve experienced, no matter how faulty that interpretation is.

So how do we discover what is true? Some might say that what is true for me is not necessarily true for you. That’s like me insisting that as time goes on, the world becomes blurrier. The world is a place of concise lines and beautiful detail – for everyone that doesn’t need glasses.  Since I wear glasses to see that precision, it’s a fallacy for me to assert that now the world is blurry for everyone. To remedy this situation, I simply put on my glasses.

When it comes to matters of the heart, we see through distortion. The lens we need to see truth is God’s Word. When we read the Bible daily, whether we understand it all or not, our everyday life begins to clarify, just like my world comes into focus when I put on my glasses. Then, and only then, can we build on a secure foundation, a foundation of Truth.

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” ~ John 14:6 (KJV)



1 comment:

  1. By applying accurate center strategy, anything that brings
    in more traffic. Compare the rankings of the center process.

    Setup a blogger blog in a minute why that's important. With each test, none of the social networking sites helps in fast spreading of information. Purchase a bean bag chair cover sans the bean filling from an online store. For example write a great title, but mention a keyword once or twice a month.

    Here is my web site - seo for website

    ReplyDelete