Wednesday, June 19, 2013

On a Rainy Day...You Can See Eternity

(photo courtesy of stock-clip.com)

 There’s something cleansing about watching raindrops pelt against the window, even though it’s not getting us wet. It’s almost like something in us is liberated as the water is set free from the clouds. Before long, it makes you want to close your eyes and immerse yourself into something bigger. Whether it’s a vicious storm or a gentle shower, rain has a way of quieting something inside of us. (Unless, of course, you’re running for cover.)

How can anyone deny that we’re all part of something much bigger than ourselves? Is it really possible to be so disconnected that we can deny the existence of the God that gives us breath each day? Can we reach out and feel absolutely nothing to connect with? Have we really been severed off and pushed aside, or have we done the severing? Or is it all an elaborate illusion, created to deny us the love we so violently crave? How can we know?

I recall many years ago when I asked the question, “…how can I know for sure?” I wanted to believe there was a God and that He loves me unconditionally, just as I’d heard. But, I reasoned that if He loved me, surely He must know me; and if He knew me, He could surely not love me.

After I asked the question, the man sharing God’s love with me smiled and quoted this scripture: These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. ~1 John 5:13 (KJV)

God knew way back when He inspired this scripture that I’d need it to answer my question centuries later. In a way only He can do so, He quickened my heart and I came alive. His Word spoke to the inner-most longing of my soul.

Even, from time to time, as I’ve turned my ear from what He speaks to my heart, He continues to love me unconditionally, wooing me and providing for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment