Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Constant

(I took this photo at the Denver Botanical Gardens 2012.)

A few years ago the word ‘intrinsic’ kept floating through my mind, to the point that I finally looked it up. I felt like God was talking to me about my intrinsic value. I was incredibly blessed to discover its meaning.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about the value of human life, or rather, how little human life is valued these days. With abortion an accepted part of life-as-we know-it, we’ve all but erased the value of human life from our nation, and diminished it greatly in our everyday lives. The atrocities of yesteryear don’t even raise our eye brows now. We read of child abuse of epic proportions on a daily basis. Violent crimes become more and more violent, as man turns against man (or woman, or child).

Clearly, we as a people, not necessarily as individuals, do not place much value on human life. Though we are numbed by the news and oftentimes block out reality, God never changes. He’s the one constant. Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.” – Hebrews 13:8 (KJV) His values don’t change, His nature doesn’t change. Our intrinsic value is still the same, because we are made in our Maker’s image.

Over the years our own self-image changes. Whether we were raised to feel loved and believe in ourselves or we cowered in fear, wishing to be invisible and feeling unloved and unwanted, God’s love for us has never changed, the value He places on our life is constant because it’s intrinsic and His thoughts toward us are always good. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And when I wake up, you are still with me!” – Psalm 139:17-18 (NLT)

Reflect on how valued you are; the worth placed on your life.

What does intrinsic mean? Read that post here.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Helen! I always enjoy hearing your point of view. Rebecca

    ReplyDelete