Wednesday, January 22, 2014

An Audience With The King

(photo from zazzle.com)

Imagine having a private audience with the God of the universe, the King of kings! Imagine sitting in full view of His splendor, knowing He hears every word you say and they matter to Him. Imagine Him putting everything else on hold and looking into your eyes, holding your hand and meeting your needs with everything at His disposal.

Whether you realize it or not, this happens every time His children pray.

Years ago, I sat praying, and my imagination showed me a giant wooden door opening slightly. A bright light burst through, and I gasped with awe, knowing that God was right on the other side of that door. Panic danced through my veins as I realized the door was opening for me. What would I say? Tears rolled down my cheek as I realized that this is what happens when I pray.

But, why would the almighty God of everything grant me an audience?

I have, at least a partial understanding of what I’m capable of, I’ve been around a few decades. But, in His great love for me, His grace and the awe inspiring idea that still, He allows me a private audience with Him – every time I pray, should overwhelm me, it should overwhelm all of us.

An all encompassing love is a love that encompasses all that I am, all that I was and all that I will ever be, even the broken parts and the ugly pieces.

There may be some who can’t get past my past. But, God has no problems with it at all, because He’s forgiven the sin and uses every struggle I’ve faced for my good and His glory. He purposefully called to me, drawing me to Himself and, at a time when I would hear Him, He revealed His love for me.

So many descriptive words can be used in conjunction with God’s love; unconditional love, never-ending love, whether-you-want-it-or-not love, whether-you-feel-you-deserve-it-or-not love, pure love, and so many more. But, I’m at a loss to find a perfect word that envelops God’s love, because He IS love.

His love forgives me, because it’s His loving kindness that draws me to repentance in the first place.

His love is wild; it cannot be tamed or controlled. Not deserving His love, or denying He is, cannot stop Him from loving us – or His desire for intimacy with us.

The next time you pray, know that you’re talking privately with Him, that He’s giving you His full attention; that you’re partaking of His splendor and majesty and know that He hears you.

“Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.” – 1 John 5:14-15 (NKJV)



No comments:

Post a Comment