Monday, September 30, 2019

Get Out of the Car


(Lake Dillon)

Get out of the car.


While driving through the mountains this weekend, having the most fabulous time ever, we saw scenery that took our breath away. I took lots of pictures as we hiked, and as we drove along the highways. We soaked in a hot tub to relieve our weary legs from the over-the-top hike. Hiking isn’t for the elderly unless you keep in shape! We had a wonderful time and I don’t regret a minute of it. (We’ll just have to work on the staying in shape bit a little more seriously.)


On our way back home we took a shorter, less scenic route, but enjoyed plenty of breathtaking views. While driving, I played around with technology and became frustrated. Even in the midst of such phenomenal beauty, I let myself get caught up in the pull of the world. 


(On the hike up to Lily Pad Pond in Silverthorne.)
I reminded myself repeatedly, “We’re having a great time. Calm down. Step away from the technology.” 


I was going to waste my day of relaxation and our quality time together getting mad at my phone.

What was really whispering through my head, there in the background, where I had to really listen for it, was, “Get out of the car.”


Once the whisper was loud enough, I said it out loud. Dave raised an eyebrow, but I said it again. “We need to get out of the car.”


We were coming upon a small lake to the south of the road, so we stopped. Needless to say, it was beautiful. The weather was perfect, like it had been all weekend. It got so warm I was glad I was wearing a sleeveless top. Yet, standing on a small bridge, the winds whipped down through a pass to blow my hair and caused us to snuggle into our jackets.

(I took this picture from the breezy bridge.)

A train whistle sounded nearby. That made both of us smile. The sound of a train brings back childhood memories. Within minutes of getting out of the car to walk around the lake, the frustrations I let my cell phone burrow into my soul were completely gone. 


The next time you’re feeling anxious or even angry – get out of the car!


Whether that’s literal or not, break the process. Your mind and your body want to let it go, help it out. Get out of the car. Put down the frustration. Leave the room. Count to ten? Well, maybe it’ll take a breath of fresh air, too. If you can, step outside. Count to ten out there. Breathe deeply. Feel the anxiety subside…

(Sitting next to the lake in Georgetown.)
And if you know your Creator, whisper to Him with your thanks and praise. If you don’t, talk to me.



“Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” – Matthew 11:28 (NIV)



“…Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” – Mark 6:31 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment