Sunday, June 23, 2013

In My Impatience

(photo courtesy of sheddinglightonthepath.blogspot.com)
Having just finished reading Loren Cunningham’s journeys through learning to hear God’s voice, I’d like to share with you a few points from his book, “Is That Really You, GOD?”

I bought the book a few Sundays ago, after listening to what Fred Markert had to say to our congregation about the days we’re living in. I’ll admit, both emotions of excitement and angst mingled within me that day, and have in the days since. I so want to be sure I’m hearing from God, and not submitting myself to any voice with a thin disguise begging at my senses to be the voice of my Father.

His stories filled me with awe, though some sounded so surreal as to be concocted in his own mind to fill the pages of his book with God-sounding sagas. Yet, I believe each story he told with conviction and feel them stirring an eager anticipation in my own soul.

Lately, I’ve grown weary waiting on God to move me to do something, or to plainly display before me the plans He has for me to fulfill; anticipating doing something worthy of a child of the great King. Yet, admittedly, the responsibility or being called to some noteworthy feat is more than overwhelming. I hate to advertise it, but some might rightfully consider me to be a rather lazy person.

That said and out of the way, I’ve been listening for God’s roar or His still, small voice to resound in my ears this week, as I’m away on a trip, mostly by myself with time to focus more on Him and less on day to day routine.

I began to fret as the minutes turned into hours and even days, without as much as a whisper from on high. As if I could hurry God and needed to spell out for Him that my alone time here is limited, I read through scripture, sifting His Word for some special nugget that would speak to me now.

Yes, the words in Loren Cunningham’s book have satisfied my hopes and I plan to share some of his points…..tomorrow. But, more so, my dear friend Desire Cruz sent me a text this afternoon, clearly prompted by God that saturated my hunger and encouraged me to tears. Right away, I sent it to my husband, who quickly ate up the message as a prophecy from God just for him. Timely words from a devotional book called, “Jesus Calling” by Sarah Young:

“I am the firm foundation on which you can dance and sing and celebrate My Presence. This is My high and holy calling for you, receive it as a precious gift. Glorifying and enjoying Me is a higher priority than maintaining a tidy structured life. Give up you’re striving to keep everything under control, an impossible task and a waste of precious energy. My guidance for each of My children is unique, that’s why listening to Me is so vital for your well being. Let Me prepare you for the day that awaits you and point you in the right direction. I am with you continually, so don’t be intimidated by fear. Though it stalks you, it cannot harm you. As you cling to My hand, keep your eyes on Me, enjoying peace in My Presence.”


Selah. (Ponder THAT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment