Thursday, May 28, 2015

Rain, Rain Go Away!

(kottke.org)
In an attempt to lift my mood, let’s visit the gratitude attitude again. I’ve been letting the gray skies have their way with me, pushing me around like I was theirs to command. Well, I’m not.

Looking for that silver lining, I’m turning my attention to the good in my life, as Paul instructs us to do in Philippians 4:8. I don’t think he wrote this to be skimmed over, but because he knew there would be days we’d need this point drawn to our attention.

To sum it up: Think on the good things!

To spell it out, here’s what it says: “Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy – meditate on these things.” (Philippians 4:8 NKJV) 
The thunder rolling around the heavens is no reason to let lethargy have its way. The thunder, too, shall pass. There are rainbows to look for!

I challenge you, again, to come up with your own list of good things to think on; replacing the negative thoughts that try to consume our days. For some reason, it just seems more powerful to write them down, but, don’t feel like you have to. If you find yourself without pen and paper (or keyboard), just say them; out loud will drive the points home to your conscious and subconscious. Drive down the road reminding yourself about what’s good around you. Fold your laundry while recognizing the sweet things you can see. As your children play (perhaps noisily) point out to yourself some of their best assets (number one could even be that you’re their parent!) Sitting at your desk writing memos or email? What do you love about the person you’re writing to? 

(langevin.com)

As I eat my lunch and wait for the rain to pass so that hopefully I can go for a walk OUT-side, I’ll ponder the good things.

1.     My salad tastes GREAT!   
2.     I’ve chosen a healthy lunch.
3.     My laptop works.
4.     I have a blog to share.
5.     I can read!
6.     My home is a happy place.
7.     My home is cozy!
8.     No matter how much it rains, my home hasn’t flooded. Yay!
9.    The bulletin board over my desk is filled with things that make me happy.

Not to mention the BIG things:

10.    God loves ME!
11.    My husband loves me!
12.    My children love me!
13.  I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that DOESN’T love me! How cool is THAT! 
14.     I'm well fed.
15.     I’m smart.
16.     I’m healthy.
17.     I’m beautiful! – I’m feeling happier already!
18.   My husband and my children are all well fed, smart, healthy and beautiful!
19.    God’s grace completely covers me – all the time!
20.    God is soooooo patient with me.

And silly things:

21.    My new carpet is soft.
22.   When I go out to eat, I can tip enough to make the server smile.
23.    My shoestrings are pink.
24.    The burning candle smells wonderful!
25.    I got junk mail instead of bills.
26.    My friends don’t expect perfection from me.
27.    My haircut makes me feel stronger.
28.    I discovered a new favorite tea.
29.    My husband generally fills my gas tank for me.
30.  I have my “junk” phone calls labeled and sent directly to my voicemail so I never even hear the ring when they try to disturb me.

How long is your list so far? I could go on all day. The gift of being chatty.

BUT – the rain has stopped and I’m going for a walk; outside, with a smile on my face and my step-counter on my arm!

(freeimages.imagestocks.in)
I’ll take my pink ‘brella in case the clouds aren’t finished purging yet. But, those simple lists turned me around. For now; I may have to make them again later – and I will, because I know they work. The Apostle Paul knew what he was talking about!


See ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment