Friday, December 31, 2010

2011: Where are We Going?


Is it just me or does everyone else notice that the longer you live the faster the years go by? All thanks to God that I’m not among the crowd that faces massive credit card bills in January – but seriously? Another January already?
Either I’m too lazy or too busy – but I didn’t get the things done I planned to do last year!

A friend’s blog said that this coming year she plans to focus on being focused. Sounds like a good idea to me. I’ve never really been a goal-setter; it’s not how I was put together. I can laughingly call myself a ‘fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants’ kind of girl, which is how I perceive my life, setting only a few goals in recent years. I can jokingly say that if you don’t have a goal, you don’t feel bad when you don’t reach it, sad but true. But if I never set the bar above where I am – how will I ever know what I can achieve?

I will concede that goals are valuable and sometimes needed to push us forward. I’ll admit that without being specific we can end up disappointed. For example, I want to win a lot of money. Here the phrase ‘a lot of money’ falls of deaf ears to a man that lives on two dollars a day. I want to lose weight. If I lose just one pound I’ve achieved this goal – but it’s hardly what I had in mind.

To set a goal, I need a vision. My vision might include where I want to be next January; how fit do I want to be? How financially secure do I want to be? How intimate with God and my friends and family do I want to be? Baby steps may be good in each area, but I might be capable of much, much more.

Part 2 coming tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment