Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Dirty Little Girl in the Middle


THE DIRTY LITTLE GIRL IN THE MIRROR

It's me Lord, Your clumsy little daughter, the one that's always falling down.
...No, the one with the skinned up knees and the scrape across my chin, the one whose eyes You're always wiping tears from.
...No, the one who never seems to be standing up straight-the one who keeps needing a new dress, 'cause I keep messing up the old ones.
...No, Lord, the one who's always hounding You with petty little requests. You know Lord, the one who always has some complaint or ailment.
...No, no, Lord, me, the dirty little one in the mirror.
...Lord, You're teasing with me, aren't You?
...You know who I am, You hear from me enough, don't You?
...You don't?? But, You do know who I am, right? Oh good.
...What do You mean, I'm the one who's always smiling? I cry more than I smile.
...What do you mean, I'm the pretty one in the middle? Lord, how can you call me pretty?
...Lord, listen to Yourself!
...Why, yes, I am the one wearing Your Robe of Righteousness, but, Lord, I keep messing it up!
...What? You never noticed? How could You not notice, Lord?
....Yeah, Jesus must have covered for me!
Well, Lord, now that we've established who I am, I just want to say Thank You Lord, because of Who's I am.
Now I know You must really love me.
Not because of anything I've done, but because of all You've done, Lord.
Thank You, You’re so good to me!
-Helen Williams c 8/90

3 comments:

  1. That is so touching - and echoes thoughts I've had. I just need to keep remembering the last few lines...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leesa! I think they're thoughts we've all had from time to time. I had that painting painted to try to put the words into a picture (since they're worth 1000 words!) We call the picture - 'Recognition'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Southern California.

    I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete