Monday, May 23, 2011

The Great Loves of My Life

A few reflective thoughts for today: Decades ago a tremendous fear of turning thirty gripped me. Somehow thirty symbolized some sort of magic number that indicated the passing from youth to old age. Now of course, I look back and laugh at myself. My oldest son celebrates his thirty-third birthday today. On my youngest son’s next birthday, all of my children will be in their thirties. If I felt old when I turned thirty, I should be pushing up daisies by now.

But thirty-three years ago I experienced some of the most joyful moments of my life. A whole lot easier than it should have been; doctors and nurses came from all over the hospital to see the woman in labor and that didn’t feel any pain…

Love cannot die, it can only grow. When you become a parent, you find out just how much love can grow. You think your heart is filled to overflowing, only to encounter a stretching and tearing that allows for even more. I’m extremely proud of all three of our children, they’ve brought more joy to my life than any one woman should be privileged to receive. If this is just a glimpse of what God feels toward us, we are loved more than we can begin to imagine. Our finite brains can’t wrap around the concept of such a tremendous love.

I’d like to dedicate this song to my children.


No comments:

Post a Comment