Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Loving Promise


A familiar scripture makes its way to our ears from sermon after sermon, but until Sunday – I missed such a very important piece of it. In 2 Chronicles 7:14 we read: “if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
When discussions of how the world is ‘going to hell-in-a-hand-basket’ and spiraling out of control, it’s easy to give examples of things that are going wrong, violence that is off the charts, man’s evil devices bringing down mankind and speculation of impending disasters. It’s easy to sometimes panic, asking ourselves questions like, “What will we do? What’s to become of our children and their children? Are we close to the end of the world as we know it?” No president or world leader has the power it takes to fix all the things that are wrong. Nations war against each other, hatred is rampant and our lands are bruised and bloodied beyond repair. Or are they?
Sunday morning at church we had a special speaker, Fred Markert, share a few things with us that opened my eyes to incredible possibilities. He made me aware of a lot of things that made me marvel. But my biggest take away was when he pointed out a two letter word in that famous scripture I mentioned earlier.
How in the world can we get an entire nation – let alone the whole world to turn to God, to repent of their wrong doing and get right with Him? A great majority of the people on this planet don’t even acknowledge God – why would they cry out to Him?
That two letter word is the word “My”. The scripture doesn’t indicate at all that we need to rally the world and turn their hearts to heaven. God says, “if My people….” We are focusing on the wrong group of people. If WEGod’s people, the people who already profess to be children of God, if WE … who are called by God’s Name WILL HUMBLE OURSELVES, and PRAY and SEEK HIS FACE, and TURN FROM OUR WICKED WAYS, then HE WILL hear from heaven, and will FORGIVE OUR SIN AND HEAL OUR LAND!
~~~~~WE~~~~~ can DO this!

(Another link to Fred Markert )

2 comments:

  1. The ways we are judged has nothing to do with how much we love God but how much we love and do for others with no regret! simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful lesson Helen.

    ReplyDelete