Monday, November 4, 2013

What If I Don't?

(photo courtesy of viewableimpressions.co.uk)
What if I begin to ask my questions backwards? I admit I’ve been struggling to lose weight here in the past few years. While pondering the conundrum, it occurred to me that I’m settling for answers to the wrong questions. Duh!

For lunch today, I presumed I’d have my leftovers from yesterday. I barely ate half of the calzone from my Sunday lunch at Old Chicago, where we watched the Cleveland Browns start a winning game! Knowing it’s not my best choice, I asked myself why I had to eat it. Well, I already paid for it, no sense in wasting it. (I’m one of those folks who’s been trapped in the “I ordered it – I eat it/I paid for it – I eat it” game of reasoning.)

But what if I ask the question differently? What if, instead of assuming I should, I ask, “What if I don’t?” I’m delving into areas I seldom consider for my own life. What if?

I need to go for a walk this morning. But, what if I don’t? If I don’t, I get to stay in my warm house and write, or piddle around with my other chores for the day. But I know my weight will remain the same. Normally, I settle for that. But, what if I do? If I do go for that walk, I stand a chance at bettering a good habit, and the numbers on the scale may become more kind to me!

Let’s go back to that carb-filled calzone. What if I do eat it? I laden myself with the burden of those carbs and I slide away from the table bloated and feeling lazy, perhaps adding to my weight concerns. But, what if I don’t? What if I just eat the meat inside? Or what if I throw it away!? Now that’s a profound thought! Hmmm, pondering… processing….. Whether I eat it or throw it away, the money is already spent. But, one’s mind might argue, if I don’t eat it, I’ll spend more money on a new lunch today. (Can you tell I might be trapped in a poverty mentality, even though our budget is a healthy one?)

The bottom line is - which choice will get me one step closer to where I want to be?

When the weather is too cold, I can rationalize not going out for a walk. But, yes, we have an elliptical….and yes, I can make excuses for not using it, but what if I don’t? What if instead of making excuses, I rationalize reasons I should do it?

Many of you may have already faced these choices and have come out on the winning side. I commend you, even though you’re resounding “duh!” rattles in my head. You’re smarter than I am, I get it. But for me, it’s finally getting interesting. What if I argue the other side of the coin in my mind?

What if…..?


“Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.” – Proverbs 4:26 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment