Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Content to Change?

 

(picture from Dillards.com)
New beginnings; we hear about them all the time, especially around the first of the year. But, resolutions?

I have to ask, “Am I content with the way things are in my life right now?”

The Apostle Paul learned how to be content when he was well off and when he was hungry, when he was sitting in a jail cell or before a king. But, being content where he was didn’t keep him from pursuing his mission to a share the gospel everywhere. (Philippians 4:11-13)

Perhaps we think that being content means accepting things as they are, making no moves to advance ourselves or our missions in life. But, in fact, what it means is to not let our enemies steal our joy, no matter our circumstances.

Can I be content with what the scale said this morning, while pursuing healthier eating throughout my day? Of course!

Yes, that’s not a number I’m happy with, but I CAN do something about it. I can put into motion a plan to bring that ridiculous number down to something healthier.

Allowing myself to get angry with the scale will set the tone for my day and can send me off to Dunkin Donuts for a donut. Or two. That’s not the direction I want to go.

So, perhaps we can become content with where we are in the moment, so that we can enjoy all the other blessings God has us for today and reach out with love to those around us. We can head into our morning huddle with God and come up with a plan for the day, the week, the month – the year, or even just for the next few minutes, that will take us in the directions He’s leading us.

Whether it’s the weight scale or career changes or mending relationships, let’s take a moment to appreciate where we are at the moment and join hearts with the One that loves us best and move forward.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment