Friday, March 31, 2023

The Scary Prayer

 

(from nationaltoday .com)

I remember, back in the early 80s, first reading in the gospels where Jesus's disciples asked Him to teach them how to pray. 

 

I recall the feeling of satisfaction that came over me, thinking there could be no better way to pray than by following His example. 

It was as if a smile took up not only my face, but my whole body. 

 

Then I read the familiar words to the prayer I learned very early on in my childhood, "Our Father Who art in heaven...." (Luke 11:1-4)

 

It's a feel-good prayer. 

It's a traditional prayer. 

It's a comforting prayer, bringing back memories of early childhood before the world ever felt dark. 

As a family, we'd kneel together on the living room floor and pray before bedtime. 

 

Now, as an adult, reading the words for myself in the Bible for the first time, seeing where they came from and discovering that Jesus Himself taught us this prayer, it warmed my heart. 

 

Sometimes when I read, I smooth the paper where the words are written, following my finger as I read... "hallowed be Thy Name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

 

What joy to think of God's will being carried out here on earth just as it is in heaven!

(from nationaltoday .com)

 "Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us...."

 

Wait. What? Back that up a bit. "…forgive us our trespasses AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US..."?????

(from unsplash .com)

 Wait. I've been praying this prayer since I could put a sentence together. I've been asking for God's forgiveness - according to how I've forgiven those who have wronged ME?

 

But sometimes I'm not that quick to forgive!

 

Sometimes I don't think a person deserves to be forgiven!

 

The thought may have even crossed my mind, "I hope they burn in hell for what they did..."

 

That's not how I want God to forgive ME!

 

I don't know what you call them, but that's what I'd call an "aha! moment”. 

 

As tears rolled down my face, I prayed The Lord's Prayer that day for the first time, understanding exactly what I was saying - and truly meaning each word I prayed.

 

Sigh. What a relief. 

 

THAT was a scary prayer. 

 

I survived it.

 

Now - every time I pray it, I mean it. 

(from practicalrecovery .com)

 "…and lead is not into temptation but deliver us from evil."

 

That day I was delivered from evil on a whole new level. 

 

"Amen."

 

Your turn. Can you pray this whole prayer from the heart? Will you let it set you free?


(from wikipedia .com)


3 comments:

  1. Does that mean I have to forgive the ugly driver who cut in front of me - literally didn’t even look just came over on top of me? Goodness - that’s a hard prayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some prayers are easier than others..... and God hears them all!

      Delete
  2. I pray that everyday--from the heart! The realization of the words hit me a long time ago. It's a very powerful prayer.

    ReplyDelete