Monday, November 3, 2014

A Long and Relatively Pointless Blog Post

When I travel alone, I write. I suppose that should be a relief to the passengers beside me; more writing, less talking. Less talking, somehow still joyful. “Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” – Hebrews 13:5 (KJV)

Wednesday, October 22nd 6:05 a.m. - I don’t think I’ve ever flown into a sunrise before.

The clouds look like a dark ocean beneath me. Minutes pass and they the look more like gray bellowing smoke. A pink glow sits just beneath certain clouds like magical ponds of water reflecting a radiant light up through the haze. Some clouds build upwards and look like tidal waves; suspended in time, never falling and crashing, as if frozen, glacier-like walls of water.

A very light gray wispy line of clouds much higher than the rest passes beneath us, as if we crossed a heavenly goal line.

In time, the clouds seem closer and create the illusion we’re flying over a massive ice continent. The darkness is somehow illuminated, though the sun has not yet pierced the horizon. There’s a magic surrounding us as we fly into the sunrise. Every picture I take disappoints me, none doing this breathtaking view justice at all.

This can’t even be how earth looked in the first verses of Genesis. Below me is a gleaming mass of clouds, swimming over a shapeless planet, but as the Bible opens, even clouds and sunshine weren’t yet spoken into existence.

Can clouds freeze? They’re collections of moisture, right? What causes the glowing pink pockets that show up sporadically?

The brilliance of the sunlight peeking over the distant clouds of the horizon causes my heart to beat in my throat, as if the clouds are on fire! A rainbow of colors blend together as the life-giving orb rises above the clouds. My hands are clutched to my chest and I almost forget to breathe. And now – it’s daylight! Glory! Glory! Glory! Glory to God in the highest!

Surely the kind man beside me thinks I’m a little simple in the head as I keep interrupting him to show off the amazing display outside my window. He smiles as if I’m not bothering him.

I wish you could see the fancy rainbows on the wall beside me, dancing as I move the rings on my hands. The only light they’re reflecting is the sunlight through my window.

The sky below me looks like a sea of glass, could this have been what John saw amidst his revelation? He, too, was lifted up (though I doubt in an airplane). The hazy soft glow now washing over the clouds makes me feel like I’m watching God’s Spirit hover over the earth.

A week later, October 29th 6:11 p.m. - The site of the top side of the clouds always delights me. I can extract all sorts of things from it. I’m on an adventure; a slightly out of the ordinary leg of my journey through life in the flesh – one taking place 38,000+ feet in the air. I’m breaking from my everyday routine. I’m seeing people I’ve never seen before and will likely never see again. I’ll endure frustrations (the loud child behind me) and welcome blessings (my java chip frappachino). I’ll see things I’ll seal into my memories and forget more than I realize I see. Most likely, I’ll never be in this exact spot again.

While traveling, I’m transformed from my daily tasks, which seems like a break from reality. I’ll observe behaviors and manners of dress I generally only see on television. I may try new foods or drink. I’ll most definitely formulate questions I wouldn’t have come across in my own car or at my own kitchen table. Yes, the top side of clouds indicate an exciting change; a portal to something new.

At first glance, I knew the passenger to my left is a man. But, the first class flight attendant takes me a few minutes to settle in my mind that yes, he, too, is a man. His accent is peculiar as he snatches our attention with his handheld microphone. Our pilot is chipper and much chattier than your usual pilot as he informs us we’ll be arriving in Dallas early. He’s using words like “glorious” to describe the evening.

The interactive map on the seat back in front of me is crazy cool! I can explore the whole world from any angle.

Even for my petite height there’s barely enough leg room to be comfortable. My left hip is complaining and the right side of my back and rib cage remind me of the abuse they took this morning when I hoisted my suitcase into the rental car trunk, a task my husband generally takes care of. I’ll need a muscle relaxer tonight.

Why do I think you’d care to read this? I don’t. I just need to write it.

I’d love to bother the man in the aisle seat so I could scurry back to the ladies room. But, I’ll wait. He’s sleeping already. Plus, I wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity to get my half a can of soda! Maybe I’ll be assertive and ask for the whole can. Maybe they’ll just be in a generous mood and give it before I ask.

Blessing: the two pretty (yes, female) flight attendants back here tending to the commoners are smiling! First class isn’t so lucky.

(picture from noliesplace.com)
In Ohio, I barely needed moisturizer. Back home in Colorado my skin will suck it up like I drink water, that’ll be one readjustment. I’ll take a day or two to re-acclimate to the altitude, not quite as long to slide back into the feel of mountain time.

(Have I mentioned I love this picture?)
I’m totally looking forward to Dave’s huge arms wrapping me into his warm embrace. Funny, my eyes tear up at the thought. I’ve missed him so much!

I shared some of my daughter Sandee’s Paparazzi jewelry with family, a waitress and a dance instructor while in Ohio – but where did I tuck away her business cards? Some sales woman I am… (Her site? www.fivedollarfabulous.com

Yes! I got a whole can of diet Coke! I know, I should have asked for a bottle of water. And yes, I already had one in my carry on.

I was a little disappointed over not getting to hook up with a few old friends as I’d hoped to. Oh well, next trip. Perhaps I need to go “back home” more often.

I think in upcoming days I’ll Google information on cloud formations. Specifically, why do they form the way they do?

This is a two hour flight. Surely you won’t wade through my every thought with me. I’ll put my notebook away for a while. Sky Mall, here I come!

…Last week I flew into the sunrise; the dawn of day. Tonight, I fly into the sunset! It looks as though someone took a fat pink marker and highlighted the horizon; orange and yellows bleed into the sky as its bluish hues have turned gray.

It’s -49 degrees outside at 36,000 feet up. Yowza! How does ice not form on the wings?

I’ve never had such extreme ear pressure as in this descent into Dallas. No wonder the babies are howling.

I’ve discovered some crazy cool features of the interactive map, such as the view from the cock pit. We’ll be landing almost a half an hour ahead of schedule. That rocks! AND my connecting gate is right next to where we’ll pull in, time to stretch out.

The skies are growing darker blue with that beautiful dark pink glow on the horizon; lights galore below.

My connecting flight from Dallas to Colorado Springs allowed me no time to write, the man sitting next to me was more than accommodating with his words. Now I know what it’s like to sit next to me! It’s wonderful!

(picture from wifiministries.org)

“Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (KJV) Thank God you’re not trapped in my head with the myriad of thoughts that constantly swirl and fight for attention. Just kidding, it can be rather fun in here.

“Rejoice in the Lord always: again I say, Rejoice.” – Philippians 4:4 (KJV)

(picture from frankdamazio.com)
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:” – Ecclesiastes 3:1 (KJV)   It’s always a season for rejoicing.








No comments:

Post a Comment