Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sing!


(picture from netmark.com)
Somewhere in my past I heard it said, when you sing, you pray twice. Maybe because it takes you twice as long to get the words out of your mouth, but more probably, because putting melody to our praise and prayers seems to make them a little more powerful, at least from a human perspective. We can allow ourselves to take it further, to enjoy it more and to lift it up higher, and even to receive more from God. In receiving more (more freedom, more encouragement, more healing, more of God’s power released into our lives) the more easily and freely we share it.

Just typing “I will sing” into the browser at Bible Gateway (KJV) brings up twenty-five scriptures, some of which are songs I’ve sung for a long time. And those I haven’t sung have probably been sung by someone at some point. This morning in church we sang  a song that caused my soul to rejoice greatly. It brought to mind a lot of old scripture songs I’ve sung over the years, and it also brought to mind all the reasons I have to praise God through song.


Some of the scriptures I know as song include:
“I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider’s thrown into the sea... The LORD my God, my strength, my song has now become my victory… The LORD is God and I shall praise Him, my father’s God and I will exalt Him….
Miriam grab your tambourine and praise the LORD and dance and sing and tell the people to shout the victory… The LORD, my God, my strength, my song has now become my victory… The LORD is God and I will praise Him, my father’s God and I will exalt Him...” Exodus 15:1-2 & 20 paraphrased.

(picture from keepcalmandposters.com)
“Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me; Thou hast put off my sackcloth. Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me and girded me with gladness; To the end that my glory may sing praise unto Thee and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto Thee forever…” – Psalm 30:11-12 paraphrased.

“I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever, I will sing; I will sing. I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever, I will sing of the mercies of the LORD. With my mouth will I make known Thy faithfulness; Thy faithfulness. With my mouth will I make known, Thy faithfulness to all generations….” – Psalm 89:1 paraphrased.

“I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live, I will give thanks to my God while I have my being. My meditation of Him shall be sweet, I will be glad, I will be glad in the Lord! Bless thou the LORD O my soul, praise ye the LORD. Bless thou the LORD O my soul, praise ye the LORD…” – Psalm 104:33-34 paraphrased.

(picture from pinterest.com)
Other songs that are no doubt in scripture as well, but just don’t pull up with that tag line include:
“I will sing, I will sing a song unto the LORD, I will sing, I will sing a song unto the LORD, I will sing, I will sing a song unto the LORD; hallelujah glory to His Name.”

“Sing unto the LORD a new song, sing unto the LORD all the earth; sing unto the LORD a new song, sing unto the LORD all the earth. For God is great, and greatly to be praised, God is great, and greatly to be praised……”

Scriptures, such as Psalm 103:1 (paraphrased) may not use the words, sing unto the LORD, but we sing them anyway: “Bless the LORD, O my soul and all that is within me, bless His holy Name.

And Psalm 103:2 (paraphrased) “Bless the LORD, O my soul and forget not all His benefits, Bless His holy Name, Bless the LORD, O my soul and forget not all His benefits…”

“Trust in the LORD with all of your heart, lean not on your own understanding, acknowledge the LORD in all of your ways, He will make your path straight.” – Psalm 3:5-6 paraphrased.

(picture from revivalchurch.org.uk)
Psalm 61 is a beautiful song, as well. There are so many beautiful songs in scripture that as I look over them, my soul can’t help but rejoice and celebrate, taking me back to when I learned them and the blessings I was receiving at the time. Not only does my mouth sing, my heart sings!

How many of these songs do you know? Others you’d like to share with us? Where do they take you back to and what did God bless you with at the time? Where do they allow your spirit to soar now?

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful article indeed #Helen

    http://www.owenhabel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Owen! :D Bless the LORD O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy Name!

      Delete