Monday, March 5, 2012

Did You Have a Fuzzy-Haired Doll?

Yesterday morning in church I sat two rows behind a woman I see weekly. I don’t know her, but I can’t help noticing the “fuzzy” look to her hair – like that of a baby doll that’s been loved on a little too much, one that’s been held, slept with, played with, one who’s hair has been brushed and shampooed repeatedly. Immediately my mind went to the picture of a young girl holding her favorite doll, stroking its hair, smiling at her with a reassuring look that said no harm would come to her and she’d never abandon her for a newer, flashier toy.

The woman’s smile always catches my attention. There’s something special about it; smiles sometimes betray our heart. I’m never quite sure what’s just beyond the curl of her lips, it could be the extremely happy heart of God’s Princess that is loved beyond measure; her silent testimony of His love. It could be her expression to say, “Hello, I’d love to be your friend.” It could be the face she wants us to see instead of the one with tear stained cheeks and bloodshot eyes from personal sorrows. Sunday morning I found myself wanting to approach her and feel her hair, to smooth in with my own hand, like she was my own little girl, as I believe God does every day.

Can she be loved too much? No. But I want to know her, simply because Jesus does, and He loves her every minute of every hour of every day, just as He loves me.

Keeping my hands to myself, I’ve purposed in my heart – that next Sunday morning I’ll meet her face to face, smile to smile.

“When I smiled at them, they scarcely believed it; the light of my face was precious to them.” ~ Job 29:24 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment