Thursday, April 19, 2012

Agreement

Agreeing with God; we don’t do it as much as we think we do.

Our minds are filled with all sorts of contradictions. If asked we might tell a friend that yes, we love ourselves, but it’s evident that in some areas of our life we don’t take care of ourselves. And we take care of the things we love – to the best of our ability. We might insist we have a good self-image, when in reality we have lies rolling around in our head that drag us down and cause us to doubt ourselves or our worth. We might declare in song that we are fearfully and wonderfully made – but then berate ourselves for how much weight we’ve gained or how lifeless our hair is or how badly our face is broken out again. We’re not even in agreement with ourselves, how much less with the Word of God?

God Word does tell us that we are fearfully and wonderfully made – (Psalm 139, I’ve included the entire psalm at the end of this blog post.)

His Word also declares that nothing can separate us from His love. Yet there are many times we feel unloved or even unlovable.

He says He’ll never leave us nor forsake us, yet how often do we feel alone and lonely, as if our last friend has fallen off the face of the earth.

When we’re filled with these contradictions – we’re like the instrument in the symphony that never been tuned, tearing up the whole song. Being in harmony with God brings His peace into our lives in an overwhelming manner. To be in harmony, we must be in agreement, not fighting God at every turn. Something inside of us wants to be right all the time, stirring up arguments that didn’t even exist. That’s ego, which can be a good thing sometimes, but without balance, there won’t be harmony. Without harmony, there won’t be peace. And thinking we can find peace without God is total dysfunction. It’s like insisting on finishing a puzzle when you know the missing piece has already been digested by the dog.




Psalm 139 (NKJV)
O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
2 You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.
3 You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
5 You have hedged me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain it.
7 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall[a] on me,”
Even the night shall be light about me;
12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.
17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You.
19 Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!
Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.
20 For they speak against You wickedly;
Your enemies take Your name in vain.
21 Do I not hate them, O Lord, who hate You?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
24 And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.

1 comment:

  1. Psalms 119:76
    May your unfailing love be my comfort,according to your promise to your servant. I cannot in my own strength do much but with god and through God I can do all things! I see all my imperfections and daily but though his grace I can take hold of who I am who he has made me to be. I long to be used by him in a great and awesome way.
    Blessings
    Deb

    ReplyDelete