Sunday, February 9, 2014

Light of the World

(Photo from hurstrobert.wordpress.com)
Without light, man cannot see. We can’t see what lies in our path, or our hand in front of our face. Neither can we see God, or into His spiritual realm.

Jesus speaks to us, as He spoke to His disciples when He says, “You are the light of the world.” (Matthew 5:13 (NKJV) But, before we could have that light, He announced, “I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” (John 8:12 NKJV) He then went on to say, “As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” (John 9:5 NKJV) Through His death, burial and resurrection we’ve become the light of the world when He lives inside of us.

If the world cannot see God it’s not because they’re walking around with their eyes closed. They have their eyes wide open. The day I walked through the Cave of the Winds here in Colorado Springs, and the day I explored the Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, each tour guide turned off the lights when we reached the deepest point he could take us. Scary? Yes. Praise God, the lights were only off momentarily. But, in that moment or two of complete and utter darkness, you could hear folks moving around, perhaps feeling edgy, or perhaps to startle the rest of us. I was paralyzed, sure that if I moved, I’d trip and fall. I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. It took my breath away. It was exciting, only because I could anticipate the second the lights came back on. My eyes were wide open, but I could not see a thing. The longer the light remained off, the more paranoid I became that something evil might happen in the darkness, like in a whodunit movie. Relief flooded over me when I could once again see.

No, most every lost soul roaming the Earth has their eyes wide open, and whether they realize it or not, they’re searching for answers. But, until the light of God is shed on their path, they’ll continue to walk in darkness, not seeing all the incredible things around them. They may become delusional from paranoia, or they may just accept that darkness is all there is to walk in. Like the blind, they begin to perceive things with their other senses, and not always as they really are. Some reach into the spiritual realm, feeling their way around and not recognizing the God that was and is and is to come; their own Creator.

While Jesus walked the Earth draped in flesh, He was the Light of the world. But, now He’s entrusted that Light to each of His followers, sending us out into the world to shine! If the world can’t see God, it’s because we’re hiding our light under a bushel. We have no one to blame the darkness on but ourselves; the darker the darkness, the brighter the light shines. It’s time to shine!

I’ve heard it said that the “sin of the desert, is to know where the water is and not tell.” How much greater is the sin of man to know the Truth, to walk in the Light – and keep it a secret?

Has our enemy put so many distractions in front of us, that we forget to shine or place that priority on a back burner? What is our Great Commission?


“And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. – Matthew 28:18-20 (NKJV)


Enjoy this song by Ashley and Carlton Banks - Fresh Prince


No comments:

Post a Comment