Saturday, February 15, 2014

First...

(picture from lovethispic.com)
Do you ever just want someone to reach out to you with a kind offer to help, whether what we’re going through is a big deal or something petty that’s getting us down?

Does it ever seem like you’re the one always extending a helping hand, but that no one notices what you’re going through?

Is it possible that sometimes we just don’t see the loving hands reaching out to comfort us, or is there truly no one in our circle of friends that cares?

And, what do we commonly do when we find ourselves feeling like this?

Isn’t it easy to pout? Isn’t it easy to listen to the lies the enemy flaunts in our ears? Isn’t it easy to launch head-long into a self-thrown pity party, complete with tears and anger?

And doesn’t it sometimes seem like an insult when someone throws scripture our way, as if that’s going to help? We were wanting a physical hand, a hug from human arms, and someone flings a verse from the Bible our way and expects that to fix everything?

I’ve been there, too. If we’re going to bring God into the picture (albeit, He should never be out of the picture), why can’t He just send that someone we need to connect to right now? I recall times when I felt like no one in the world gave a thought to whether I lived or died, and needed a friend. Placing phone call after phone call, no one picked up. Could they all really be that busy they can’t chat for just a few minutes with me?

Personally, when I need to talk with someone and can’t get a hold of anyone, I jump to the conclusion quickly, that God wants me to talk to Him about it first. He knows the situation from every possible angle. If I’m being petty and someone has hurt my feelings, talking to anyone else first would become gossip, which, incidentally, God hates.

So, maybe it’s a coincidence that no one else is available, or maybe it’s a God-planned incident. Perhaps if we take our burdens to Him first He’ll put things into perspective for us, or after we’ve vented the ugly stuff to Him, He won’t mind if we talk to our earthly friends about it, too, and someone will suddenly have time for us.

Then Jesus said, Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” ~Matthew 11:28 (NLT)

And one of my favorite scriptures: Then Jesus said, “Let’s go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile.” ~Mark 6:31a (NLT)

Why is it really so hard to turn to Him – first?






No comments:

Post a Comment