Saturday, April 25, 2015

Our Crazy Love



I hide the silliest things from people.

The other day someone asked me how Dave and I have managed to still be so in love after all these years. Besides the obvious, that God is the glue that holds us together through thick and thin, the only thing I could say is that we are without a doubt, the silliest, goofiest couple ever. If a sitcom were created about our married life, most of it would get laughs primarily because folks would say, “No one’s really that goofy that much of the time.” Hey – if you can’t laugh at yourselves and each other, a couple doesn’t really stand much of a chance, in my opinion.


Sure, you’ve got to be quick to forgive, generous with mercy and sincere compliments, but you’ve got to know you have permission to laugh; loud and often.

Yes, you need to build each other up and respect each other and speak positive words over each other; you need to pray over each other – sometimes out loud! But, without humor, we’d miss the best parts of each other. Don’t you think?

Whether we’re playing a board game, hiking together or simply watching television from the comfort of our bed, Dave and I know we can laugh, spontaneously.

Not necessarily the kind of laughter that makes fun of each other, but rather, the kind of laughter that makes fun with each other.

I admit it, I’m an oddball. But, I have to think I’m not the only oddball out there. Most of the time, the side of our marriage we show to the world around us tempers our goofiness. Sometimes folks may only see the facet of our relationship where I get snippy with Dave.

No doubt, if you’ve known us long at all, you’ll see the side of life where I’m “lovingly suggesting a better way to do things” – i.e. my way.

You might see our serious sides.

But, you probably won’t see even a measure of the silliness. Why? I ask myself….

Perhaps we just don’t want folks thinking marriage is easy? Nah. Everyone knows you get out of a marriage what you put into it. Well, in most cases. I think.

Maybe I’m actually backwards about showing off how good we have it. So many couples around us seem to struggle all the time. Wouldn’t putting our happiness on display only make them feel bad about their squabbles? Nah, probably not. Perhaps it would even be encouraging to see that two messed up humans can make it work for their entire lifetime together, despite the mountains they have to climb together and individually.

Maybe it’s the (false) idea planted somewhere in the back of our heads that whispers to us, saying that there are folks watching and waiting for us to fail? Nah, who cares what others think? If they’re thinking we’ll drift apart or face something marriage can’t handle, they’re wrong.


Maybe, it’d be considered bragging? We all know how morally wrong that would be, right? Nah, anyone who knows me knows I’ve screwed up a lot, bragging about something God is doing in our lives doesn’t even fall into that category.

Hmmmm. What could it be? Why would we be so modest as to hide our joy?

God knows I’m quick to brag about the grandchildren to anyone who will listen, and even many who could totally care less. Would declaring our happiness be prideful?

Maybe our happiness doesn’t need to be a horn we toot too loudly – hopefully everyone can see through the thin veil of discretion and knows how deliriously content we are in each other’s arms.

For the record, no one this side of heaven could make me happier than Dave. No mere mortal could love me better or more consistently, no matter what each day brings.

I love you, Babe! Forever and always, Me!
“Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.” -  Ephesians 3:20-21 (KJV)

“Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: and be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.” – Ephesians 4-31-32 (KJV)

“Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.” – Ephesians 5:20-21 (KJV)

“For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.” – Ephesians 5:31-33 (KJV)

“I thank my God upon every remembrance of you…. Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:” – Philippians 1:3 & 6 (KJV)

Thinking Out Loud Ed Sheeran (youtube.com)




1 comment:

  1. Awww! I l-o-v-e this, Helen! So sweet and refreshing. And such a great thought to keep in one's marriage tool box: silliness! That happens occasionally over here as well. ;) Thanks for allowing the rest of us a peek in the window to your living room. :D

    ReplyDelete